Sunday, February 19, 2012

Training Wheels

This morning I was moved.... not literally.... but something that someone said really made an impact on me. 

The gifted and talented Luke Day was speaking about giving.  And he was able to throw in a training wheels analogy.. and I kind of have a thing for analogies.  :)  

He said that he was watching his son ride his bike with training wheels.  And savouring the moment of sheer excitement.  "HEY DAD, LOOK, I'M REALLY DOING IT!!"  That 4 year-old is on top of the world.  He thinks that it can't possibly get any better than this.  But his dad knows better.  His dad knows that one day he'll ditch those training wheels and really ride.  He'll be able to go up hills, around corners and up and down curbs with speed and agility.  He knows that there is more to riding a bike than his young son has the ability to comprehend. 


That simple analogy got the wheels in my head turning at a rapid rate.  It relates to all aspects of life.  Faith, finances, teaching, parenting, marriage... and the list goes on and on.  

As a teacher, I need to celebrate the small successes.  When a child spells "bic" (bike) I need to jump up and down and make them feel like a champion.  I know that there is more to spelling than the invented kind... but they don't.  So we'll celebrate that step (and each subsequent step). 

As a Christian, I know that I really need those training wheels.  There are so many areas of life that I struggle with.  But I'm thankful to have that security net there when I wobble.   I want to do more, give more, be silent more and reach out to others more.  But more isn't now.. more is coming... and I need to celebrate NOW.

As a mom, I'm thankful for diapers, soothers and blankies... they are the training wheels that pull us through the day.  Oh, and cheese strings, don't forget cheese strings.  And Caillou. 

As a wife, I'm thankful that my hubby is there to hold me up.  I need him.  He cooks.  He cleans.  He deals with the kids when I'm at the end of my rope.  He's not much for bath time... but that's a minor detail.  Marriage isn't easy but I know that we're growing and getting stronger all the time.  What will life look like when the kids are bigger and we're not run ragged all the time? Maybe the training wheels can come off then.  Maybe.   

I recognize that I'm driving through life with training wheels.  It's not perfect.. and I wobble... but I know that with every wobble comes growth and strength.. and confidence to do more.  




What are your training wheels?  And what will you be able to experience when you finally get those things off?

No comments:

Post a Comment